Donation FAQs

See below for answers to some common questions. If you don’t find what you are looking for, please reach out to us at 507-437-9604 or

What is The Hormel Institute’s Tax ID? As part of University of Minnesota, The Hormel Institute uses the University of Minnesota Foundation’s tax ID: 41-6042488

How are donations used at The Hormel Institute? Your gift to The Hormel Institute goes 100% to fund cancer research, none to administrative costs thanks to the generosity of The Hormel Foundation. Each year The Hormel Foundation provides funding to cover the administrative and operational costs of The Hormel Institute, allowing your gift to go in entirety to cancer research.

Why am I getting a receipt from University of Minnesota?  The Hormel Institute is part of University of Minnesota and UMN Foundation generates tax receipts to acknowledge your donation for tax purposes. Every dollar gifted to The Hormel Institute, however, is used at The Hormel Institute to further cancer research.  You will also receive a thank you for your generous support from The Hormel Institute.

Stock transfer information:

To transfer shares held with a brokerage firm, please provide the following information to your broker and also let us know at The Hormel Institute so that we may track the donation and acknowledge your gift.  Please call us at 507-437-9604 or email

Account Registration: University of Minnesota Foundation
RBC Wealth Management
Account #30875055 DTC #0235
Attention: Mike Thorn
601 Carlson Parkway, Suite 500
Minnetonka, MN 55305 952-476-3741

Please ask your broker to note that the gift is designated for The Hormel Institute.

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT that you or your broker contact us with the following information so we can track your gift and apply it to The Hormel Institute cancer research funds – due to donor privacy laws we cannot do this without your help:

  • The type/number of shares you are transferring and approximate value
  • Brokerage
  • Approximate date of transfer
  • Gift designation instructions (such as for general cancer research or other)