Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) Internship
The Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) Internship program at The Hormel Institute allows interns to work with scientists in their labs on biomedical research projects. This helps students expand their knowledge of basic research and gain firsthand experience learning about equipment and techniques that are generally not available in undergraduate academic programs.
Students are selected for the SURE internship program based on their high level of academic achievement, recommendations from academic leaders, college majors, and plans to pursue careers in science-related fields. In addition to lab experience, students are also able to participate in weekly professional development courses. At the end of the summer, students participate in a presentation and poster session highlighting their summer work and learning.
- Paid internship for 40 hours a week for 10 weeks.
- Laboratory-based research experience under the guidance and mentorship of The Hormel Institute scientists that will allow students to apply their knowledge and skills they have acquired in an academic setting to practical hands-on professional development opportunities.
- Deeper understanding of biomedical research.
- Development of research poster and presentation.
- Opportunity to present your scientific research and results at a public event.
- Professional development opportunities outside of the laboratory setting to learn about different topics related to biomedical research.
- Opportunities to meet other interns and engage in fun activities outside of labs to build relationships and teamwork skills.
- Low-cost housing available for interns.
Selection of students
- Applicant preference is given to those students entering their Junior or Senior year of undergraduate studies.
Apply by submitting:
- An updated Resume or CV
- Past undergraduate school transcripts (unofficial is acceptable)
- Names of 2 references, and
- Personal essay; describing your academic and career goals, interest in science education or health and medical research, how you will benefit from the SURE internship program, what you want to learn or accomplish from this program, any research experience you have had, if applicable, and any personal challenges you have faced that have influenced your life and/or academic career. (1 page maximum)
How to Apply
Applications are closed for the 2023 year.
“I’ve learned many laboratory techniques and terminology that will help in my future career. My favorite part of the internship was the friendly atmosphere and the cutting-edge science. I felt like a real part of the team and got intense, hands-on experience that I never had before.” – Siri A. 2022 SURE intern
“The Hormel Institute has a culture that embraces flexibility and curiosity. I’ve been able to take on both independent and collaborative research as an intern, and this has allowed me to gain trust in my ability to do research.” – Pal K. 2021 and 2022 Intern
The Orville S. Privett Scholarship fund provides full support for the students of the SURE internship program.
Attention Past Interns
We want to continue to connect with our SURE interns after their time at The Hormel Institute. Our goal is to keep you connected with us, and to help you maintain and strengthen your relationships with one another, as well as with current and prospective interns and with faculty/staff.
Our interns are a valued part of our family!
Stay connected: https://z.umn.edu/