SURE (Summer Undergraduate Research Experience) Interns
The Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) Internship program at The Hormel Institute allows interns to work with scientists in their labs on biomedical research projects. This helps students expand their knowledge of basic research and gain firsthand experience learning about equipment and techniques that are generally not available in undergraduate academic programs. Students are selected for the SURE internship program based on their high level of academic achievement, recommendations from academic leaders, college majors, and plans to pursue careers in science-related fields. In addition to lab experience, students are also able to participate in weekly professional development courses. At the end of the summer, students participate in a presentation and poster session highlighting their summer work and learning.
- Paid internship for 40 hours a week for 10 weeks from May 31, 2022- August 5, 2022.
- Laboratory-based research experience under the guidance of The Hormel Institute scientists that will allow students to apply their knowledge and skills they have acquired in an academic setting to practical hands-on professional development opportunities.
- Deeper understanding of biomedical research.
- Development of research poster and presentation from your own work.
- Opportunity to present your scientific results at end of experience public event.
Selection of students
- Applicant preference is given to those students entering their Junior or Senior year of undergraduate studies.
- An updated Resume or CV
- Past undergraduate school transcripts (unofficial is acceptable)
- Names of 2 references, and
- Personal essay; describing your academic and career goals, interest in science education or health and medical research, how you will benefit from the SURE internship program, what you want to learn or accomplish from this program, any research experience you have had, if applicable, and any personal challenges you have faced that have influenced your life and/or academic career. (1 page maximum)
- Application deadline is 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, March 1, 2022, with selection of candidates expected by April 1, 2022. Internship dates: May 31-August 5th
No longer accepting applications for 2022 SURE Interns
In 2021, interns indicated in post evaluations they each grew a stronger interest in a career in the medical field related to their internship experience.
“The Hormel Institute’s SURE internship has instilled a strong understanding of scientific laboratory methods and an overall understanding of how different antibodies fight against different Lung Cancer cell lines.”– Sam H. 2021 SURE intern
The Orville S. Privett Scholarship fund provides full support for the students of the SURE internship program.
Attention Past Interns
We want to continue to connect with our SURE interns after their time at The Hormel Institute. Our goal is to keep you connected with us, and to help you maintain and strengthen your relationships with one another, as well as with current and prospective interns and with faculty/staff. We also want to know what our SURE intern Alumni are doing, from careers, family and more.
Our interns are a valued part of our family!
Stay connected: https://z.umn.edu/